Orlando Wrongful Death Attorney
Losing a loved one is something we often never recover from. The pain and loss can also be exacerbated if they were taken from us due to the negligent or wrongful act by someone else. And families that lose a member who has been financially supporting the family can find themselves facing severe stress on top of their already devastating loss. In this instance, it may provide some peace of mind to consult with an experienced wrongful death attorney in Orlando to help guide you through the process of bringing a legal action in response to the loss.
If you have lost a loved one, contact the Orlando wrongful death attorneys at Hornsby Law Group to find out how we can help you start to recover and ensure that your family is protected and provided for.
Wrongful Death Actions in Florida
The Florida Wrongful Death Act governs most-all wrongful death actions in the state of Florida. When the death of a person is caused by the wrongful act or negligence of anyone else and the deceased could have brought an action against that individual or company to recover damages had they not passed on, certain family members close to the deceased can bring that action on their behalf, known as a wrongful death action. Contact our Orlando wrongful death attorneys for more information. Those members include all potential beneficiaries, including the decedent’s estate. Damages can include:
- The value of lost support and services—including future loss of support and services—for each survivor. This value is determined based on the relationship, the decedent’s income, and the replacement value of their services. Future loss is calculated based on the life expectancies of the survivor and decedent, thus working with an experienced Orlando wrongful death attorney in making a claim for these expenses can help ensure that the proper compensation is requested;
- Loss of the decedent’s companionship and protection and any mental pain and suffering for the surviving spouse;
- Lost parental companionship, instruction, and guidance, and any mental pain and suffering for minor children of the decedent;
- Mental pain and suffering for each parent of a deceased minor (and parents of an adult if there are no other survivors);
- Medical and/or funeral expenses due to injury and/or death; and
- Loss of earnings and medical or funeral expenses, as recoverable for the decedent’s estate by their personal representative.
Some of the most common causes of wrongful death actions have included auto accidents, medical malpractice/negligence, accidents on the job, criminal acts, and product liability claims, amongst others. It is important to note that even if an individual is being prosecuted by the state for criminal acts associated with the decedent’s death, the survivors can still bring a civil claim for wrongful death against that individual.
Caring, Compassionate Help From Experienced Orlando Wrongful Death Attorneys
At Hornsby Law, we work to offer personal, compassionate care to those who are dealing with the painful circumstance that is wrongful death. Our experienced Orlando wrongful death attorneys have been working to help clients in Orlando for years. Contact us today at (407) 499-8887 for a free consultation and let us help you.