Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Automobile Accidents

Car accidents are the leading cause of death for Americans under age 35. Every year, these accidents cost us billions of dollars in medical bills, disability payments, and other costs associated with automobile accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in an automobile accident, you have likely experienced these costs first hand.

You could be entitled to monetary compensation for your injuries. Whether or not you are entitled to payment depends on whether or not your negligence or the negligence of another party was responsible for the accident.

Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who will give your case the attention to detail it deserves.

Comparative Negligence in Florida

Florida has comparative negligence laws in place for automobile and other types of accidents. With a comparative negligence law, more than one party may be found responsible for an accident. This means that the total amount of damages that the victim may receive is reduced according to the percentage that the court finds he or she contributed to the accident.

For example, Driver A fails to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Driver B, who is driving 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit, collides with Driver A’s car and injures him. Driver A seeks compensation for his injury and the damage to his car, and the court determines that Driver B is 70% responsible for the collision and Driver A is 30% responsible. The $100,000 that Driver A is seeking is thus reduced by 30%, making it possible for him to only receive up to $70,000 from the claim.

Getting Monetary Compensation for Your Injury

After an automobile accident, the first thing you should do is check on every party present. Get out of your car, document the damage it suffered, and get the other driver’s contact information and insurance provider and policy number. Then, contact law enforcement.

After leaving the scene of the accident, seek medical care. If you choose to seek monetary compensation for your injury, you will need to show that you have received medical treatment and made an effort to mitigate the damages, which means that you have worked to lessen the effects of your injury.

A personal injury claim may be filed in the county where the accident occurred or the county where any of the parties involved reside. The statute of limitations for automobile accident injury claims is four years from the date of the accident.

Personal Injury Attorneys in Winter Park, Florida

If you have been injured in an automobile accident or any other type of accident, contact Hornsby Law Group at 407-499-8887 to discuss your case and learn more about your options as an accident victim. You may be entitled to monetary compensation and if so, we can help you work to secure this money. Do not wait to begin working on your personal injury case, contact a compassionate, experienced attorney for expert legal counsel and representation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn